There is nothing quite as satisfying as a thrift store score. A bargain find. That piece that makes you scream “yessssss!”
While hanging out on the “Sassy Thrifters” Facebook page (a fabulous group created by Tameka Grant, who we’re interviewing in our next issue), we fell in love with Toni Bailey’s tips for using thrift stores, clearance sections and hotel liquidators to create a warm and cozy sanctuary. Here are just a few of Toni’s Tips:
- Shop the “clearance” sections at stores. Toni purchased two Basket Weave Storage Ottomans from the clearance section at Target for $10 apiece! We’ve seen these pieces for $70 and up. She found the Zebra Print Tray on clearance at Marshall’s for $5.00 and votive candle holders (not shown) at Pier 1 Imports clearance for $5.00.
- Thrift Stores. Toni scored big time when she
found these Lamp Bases at Savers for $6! She purchased two.
- Hotel Liquidation Outlets! The yellow leather ottoman that doubles as a cocktail table was purchased at a hotel liquidation store for $15.00.
- $Free.99 is always a good thing. If someone is giving away a great piece of furniture, think of ways you can use it. Toni received a glass-topped table from her mother in 1994. She recently decided she no longer wanted the table, but kept the glass top. We love the way she re-purposed the glass on top of the ottoman to make the coffee table above.
- Rather than purchase new … re-do! Upgrade a piece of furniture by painting it. Metallic painted furniture is on trend and pretty pricey. Toni renewed this dresser with Silver Metallic brush-on paint by Rustoleum and purchased glass drawer pulls from Home Depot.
This furniture renewal costs no more than $50.00. Check out how much the other guys want for silver metallic furniture:
- Some of Toni’s Favorite Thrift Resources:
Fort Pitt Hotel Furniture Liquidators
Alsip Flea Market
Estate and Garage Sales
Clearance Sections Everywhere