The Black Chicago Woman has long cemented her standing in this world; whether it is in the boardroom or on the big screen or singing to social justice, her diverse, far-reaching impact is undeniable.
We hope you share in the excitement as we bring you Black Chicago Woman (BCW), a new online lifestyle magazine that empowers and honors the best of black women in and from Chicago, as well as its surrounding areas.
For publisher and editor VeraLisa Davis, the mission is specific. “BCW was conceived in order to uplift, encourage and showcase the beauty, dignity, intelligence, wit and tenacity of Black Chicago Women,” she says.
It is via this platform that the Black Chicago Woman will be celebrated; and given her diversity, there is much to celebrate:
- She is a trophy-winning, cultural force in the world of entertainment via Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson and Grammy Award winners Jody Watley, Chaka Khan and Lalah Hathaway.
- She is media titan Oprah Winfrey, who, via her Emmy Award-winning daytime talk show, called Chicago “home” for 25 years.
- She is Dr. Mahalia Hines and the late Dr. Donda West, both esteemed educators and mothers of two noted award-winning hip-hop and cultural figures—Common and Kanye West.
- She is showrunner Shonda Rhimes, whose “Shondaland” entertains television audiences on Thursday nights via shows like ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal.”
- She is social activist Diane Latiker, who fights for Chicago’s inner-city youth through her Kids Off the Block
- And of course, she is the politically-powerful, Michelle Obama, the history-making First Lady of the United States.
BCW is on pace to become the premiere publication for interviews, breaking news and general features; in addition, it will cover the gamut of arts and entertainment and profile well-known talent and introduce new and overlooked ones.
Thank you for coming on board the Windy City’s newest outlet specifically dedicated to the Black Chicago Woman; we have lots in store for you, so stay tuned!
Latest posts by LaShawn Williams (see all)
- BCW Holiday Gift Ideas - Dec 1, 2015
- Children’s Book Author “Lo” – Little Pampu and the Chocolate Bunnies - Nov 13, 2015
- Lena Waithe – “Straight from The Chi” - Oct 28, 2015